28 March 2012

New phone- Send me all your numbers plz

If I see anybody ask something like this without good cause, the respect I hold for them is immediately docked.

Is keeping numbers really that difficult of a thing to do?

In at least 5 years I've gone through as many phones and I've never had to resort to copying numbers by hand, or indeed asking anybody for theirs more than once!

Although bluetooth is probably passed the point of being a novelty, it was one of the simplest ways of moving contacts from phone to phone. Any phone that had bluetooth should have the option to send all contacts. There, Simple. Done!

Bluetooth is no good when you no longer have the previous phone to take the numbers from. The next best thing would be to use whatever bundled software came with your phone. This should allow you to backup all contacts, and probably more to a computer This can get complicated if you get a completely different phone and have have to import/export, but at the very least you have a copy of your phonebook on computer.

The best place to keep a backup of contacts is of course online. Years ago I found my Sony Ericsson phone would sync contacts to Gmail. Since then I've never lost a contact. This lets me look them up online, and regain the entire phonebook on the numerous replacements that have gone through my hands since.

There's probably a way of doing this with any phone that has access to even the most basic internet, so don't say I didn't warn you!

Before flooding facebook with requests for numbers, it might also be worth a moments thought that there is in fact phonebook on facebook and your friends might well have put their number there (whether they realize it or not). Sorry guys, but asking everyone for their number over again is just getting a little bit last decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment